Sunday, July 17, 2016

Back in the Saddle Again, Pt. 2

I love to knit. And crochet. I also love to talk to other knitters and crocheters and find out what they're making and what tips and tricks they've learned along the way.

Before moving to MO from TX, I was active in two yarn-related groups. One is a fun social group where I still meet with them when I go back home to visit. The other is a charity group that is still very close to my heart. Yarns of Hope donates their time and talent to making items that go to hospitals, NICU units, oncology centers, missions, home-bound individuals... you name it. If you like to knit for charity and don't have a place to send items, check this group out!

Needless to say, my crafting needs were being fulfilled so when I found out we were moving several states away, I have to admit I began to panic. Will I find other yarn-obsessed friends like myself? Thank heavens to Betsy Ross that Ravelry was there to save the day. Searching for people proved to be fruitful and when we moved. I found an amazing group that I couldn't be more enamored with. I've laughed and cried with these men and women; both with our own projects as well as personally. To sum up, find a group and share your love of crafts so you and they can grow!

My crafting journey has given me some great opportunities over these past years! I worked at a local yarn store where I had the opportunity to be surrounded by the most wonderful yarns and teach fun classes. I do a lot of freelance sample and test knitting and crochet projects for stores, designers and individuals. I even had a double-knitted necklace place in the top 10 for Skacel's knit-cessories design competition!
 
https://flipflashpages.uniflip.com/3/72043/368728/pub/html5.html#page/36  http://www.ravelry.com/projects/phdaisy1/butterflies-are-free 

This past school year, a library friend and I started a knitting club for 6th graders. We taught them the basics of knitting where they made squares, were assembled and then donated back to the school at the end of the year. I was really proud of these kids as they worked really hard and enjoyed the process. Who knows if they will continue to knit or take it up again later in life, but I hope they learned that you can make beautiful things with sticks and a little bit of string.

6th Grade Knitting Club

My most favorite of awards have been at the Texas State Fair. I've won several first and second place projects, but by far what I'm most amazed by is that I've won in the baby blanket category for the last five years. I checked a while back as to how many people actually enter in this category. The lady I spoke with said that there were over 300 entries the previous year. I was floored when I heard that. Winning five years in a row in an anonymous competition has made me feel more than honored. Since I'm now out of state, and could technically continue to compete, I've decided to put up my state fair hat and let someone else win. It was a wonderful chapter in my life that I will always remember.

2011 - Diamonds Are Also a Boy's Best Friend

2012 - Afternoon Stroll


2013 - Brioche Baby, Brioche
2014 - Hearts and Flowers

2015 - Elora Diana

 

No comments:

Post a Comment