Friday, July 22, 2016

When Good Knitters Go Insane

I have a theory on intellect. The more book knowledge one may have, the less common sense they retain. The same goes with crafting. After a while, basic patterns are no longer challenging and we crave more. Complex stitches, colorwork, unique construction tickle my fancy as much as finding the center of the ball in one pull. Because of the desire to challenge myself and learn new techniques, going back to the basics can make me fall flat on my face

A dear friend of mine and I were talking about simple projects earlier this year and this was gist of our conversation.

D: Do you know the reason we get stuck on the easy patterns?
Me: No, why?
D: It's because we've challenged ourselves so much in our specialty that we try to make the easy, difficult.

Welcome to my world today. I have stumbled over my own two feet.

The current project I'm working on is a sweet, simple lace sweater. I was overly thorough with my swatches, making 5 different sizes, and my trusty Addi 6's were the winner for this garment. I finished the entire body, started picking up sts for the sleeves and all of a sudden, my spidey sense started tingling. You know that voice: The one that says it's a school zone, you better slow down, or let's not eat the entire gallon of ice cream; it didn't end well the last time, or it's 2 o'clock in the morning, put the yarn down and go to bed. The voice this time said in a sweet fluttery voice sprinkled with glitter and peppermints: you might want to measure. "Okay," I replied with a smirk, "not that I need to. I made gauge after all." I laid out the masterpiece, looking proudly as though my 6-year old son figured out how to make a ladder that reaches the sky. Sadly, he wasn't the one that was short a few rungs; I was, by 6"!

I am re-learning a few lessons in this project that has caused me to be humble again.

Lesson #1: If something doesn't feel right, stop right then and there.
I should have stopped much earlier in the project, but my end goal was in sight and I didn't want to turn back.


Lesson #2: Measure as you go.
This is totally a no brainer, but hey, I made gauge, the math made complete sense,  so why should I question. Always measure. 


Lesson #3: Don't react due to emotion.  Step away and reevaluate.
Yet another cardinal mistake. I got so mad at the project and at me, I frogged the entire thing. I did swatch after swatch after swatch of different sizes and needle brands trying to figure out what went wrong,  when really ask I had to do was...


Lesson #4: Block the durn thing before you frog it.
A weeks worth of knitting, two days of brooding over what to do and seven balls of rewound yarn made me realize the most basic task I should have done but now I'm starting over with new swatches and actually blocking them before starting up again. This time I will be keeping my tape measure handy.

Oh well, at least I'm getting a little help...

Rally the St. Jo Mustangs Mascot

No comments:

Post a Comment